Eastern States Exposition’s Storrowton Village Museum will present Yuletide at Storrowton, Dec. 5 & 6, 11am to 4pm, in West Springfield, Mass. This free winter festival brings the community together to celebrate the holidays with traditional Yuletide activities, entertainment and shopping in the historic Village.
Decorated through the generosity of area garden clubs, florists and designers, the Village buildings will be bursting with innovative and original ideas to turn your house into a holiday wonderland. Walk through the buildings to find beautiful wreaths, swags, garlands, fresh evergreens and all natural materials around every corner.
The Master Gardeners of Storrowton will oversee the festive decorating project and Yuletide coordinator Thelma Greene, of Chicopee, will manage all event decorating. The event will spread holiday cheer with musical performances in the Meetinghouse, animals, ice sculpting and Early American craft demonstrations.
Participating clubs and florists include: the Agawam, East Longmeadow, Wilbraham, Springfield and West Springfield Garden Clubs; the Garden Club of the Westfield Woman’s Club; Deena Rollet of Merry Mite Gardens in Suffield, Conn.; Bloomin’ Bunch, located in Springfield; Anthony Gladu of West Springfield’s Rose Petal & Thorn; Eastern States Exposition Landscape department; and area decorator Pat Byrne of South Hadley. Storrowton Village volunteers will serve as costumed guides for the event.
Performances in the Village’s Meetinghouse:
- Huntington Dance Center, “Winter’s Mitten” – Sat., 11am
- Barbara Bennett Organ Recital – Sat., noon
- Alice Moore Golden Bell Chorus – Sat., 1pm
- The Melody Boys, A cappella performance – Sat., 2pm
- Dennis Picard Lecture – Bad Santa – The Evil Sidekick of Saint Nick – Sat., 3pm; Sun., 2pm
- Richard Smith as Henry David Thoreau: Walking in Winter – Sun., noon
- Rick Spencer: Music from the American Traditions of the 19th Century – Sun., 1pm
- Paul Kaplan: “Seasonal Songs with a Winter’s Theme” – Sun., 3pm
Additional Yuletide features throughout the Village include:
- Ice Sculpting Demonstrations by Mike Rondeau, Sun., Noon-3pm
- 19th Century Crafts: Broom making, Tinsmith, Windsor Chair maker – in the Nursery Barn
- Hands-on Children’s Crafts
- Blacksmithing, fireplace cooking, quilting and spinning
- Petting Zoo/Farm Animals – on the Village Green
Hot beverages and home baked goods will be available in the Holiday Sweet Shoppe in Potter Mansion. The treats will be provided by Storrowton volunteers and staff. Proceeds from this sale will benefit the educational programs at Storrowton Village Museum.
The Storrowton Village Gift Shop, in the Phillips House, will feature unique gifts, jewelry, scarves and more. Head over to theChristmas Shop in Potter Mansion during Yuletide at Storrowton for a variety of holiday gifts, decorations and collectible ornaments. The Gift Shop is open during all Yuletide events and activities. Regular shop hours are: Mon. – Fri., 9am to 5pm and Sat., 11am to 4pm to Dec. 19.
Yuletide week tour admission is $5 per person, children under 6 free:
- Yuletide Open House Tours – Tues., Dec. 8 – Sat., Dec. 12, 11am – 3pm
- Yuletide Lantern Light Tours – Wed., Dec. 9, 6 to 8pm
Parking is free for all Storrowton events. Activities will take place weather permitting. For more information, call the village at (413) 205-5051, the Info Line at 413-205-5115.