Hiring: Bookkeeper/Worker-Owner – Valley Green Feast
Pioneer Valley based worker-owned co-operative is seeking a new member to join their team. Valley Green Feast, established in 2008, is a weekly year-round local food delivery service that aims to increase food access while bringing fresh, local and organic food to a wide variety of people throughout Western, MA. We are committed to being part of a local food system, and desire to minimize environmental impacts and strengthen our local economy through the healing power of food and mission based work.
We are looking for someone with a strong background in financial management & bookkeeping, as well as someone that desires to eventually take on the rewards and challenges that come along with small business ownership. This person will be expected to complete a paid apprenticeship period, and after that both the apprentice and the co-op members will determine if it feels like a good fit. After the apprentice is officially voted in on a consensus basis, their role will transition to Worker/Owner & Bookkeeper. We enjoy laughing and creativity over at VGF, and hope to find another hardworking individual to help us get more good food out there!
1) A love for locally grown food and a desire to support local agriculture
2) Experience using Quickbooks Online, Paypal and Office products, or comparable products in a professional setting
3) Willingness to learn our system and then add your own expertise to the position
4) Hours available during normal business hours for computer based work
5) Ability to work a full day on Friday’s – first half of the day on site at the farm in Granby, MA and second half of the day out driving and doing a delivery route (~2-3 Friday’s per month)
6) Ability to lift 50 lbs at a time, most common around 20-30 lb produce boxes
7) Legal, reliable vehicle with air conditioning to use for deliveries
8) Comfort with all weather driving
9) Cell phone with reliable service
10) Reliable internet connection for correspondence between worker/owners and customers
11) Self motivated, works well independently and also collaboratively
12) Great communication (active listening / direct communication) and interpersonal skills
13) Be able to attend formal in-person meetings at least twice a month (Flexibility to be available for online meetings when necessary)
14) Interest in committing at least 2 full years to the position
15) Previous experience with small business finances, co-operatives, and doing deliveries a major plus!
– 2 to 4 hours paid computer based work from home during business hours
– 7 to 10 paid hours on location at the farm & doing deliveries on Friday’s
– $10.00 / hr as well as mileage reimbursement above the Federal level (.56 cents/mile)
– Weekly access to an allotment of local, organic produce and other valley made items at a discounted rate
– There is an opportunity for more hours and an increased hourly rate contingent on the growth of the business