Hiring: Assistant Farm Manager – Small Ones Farm
Small Ones Farm is 63-acre family-owned farm in South Amherst, MA. We have a 5-acre orchard (apples, peaches, Asian pears, plums), 750 row feet of raspberries (open-air and high tunnel), and .5 acre of melons, pumpkins and garlic. We also press our own apple cider, make our own apple cider vinegar, and we sell pies made with our fruit. We use natural growing methods (holistic and certified through the Certified Naturally Grown program). Our primary sales outlets are our fruit CSAs and our on-farm farm stand. Livestock includes a flock of laying hens, rabbits, and a barn cat. We also host school and community groups in the summer and fall. We offer community service projects for high school students and college-credit internships in collaboration with UMass, Amherst. Check out our website for more information about our farm- www.smallonesfarm.com. We seek an Assistant Farm Manager to help manage and operate all aspects of production, harvest and distribution.
- Orchard maintenance, including thinning, pruning, tracking insects/disease, mowing.
- Maintain melon/pumpkin/garlic and berry crops (watering, weeding)
- Livestock maintenance including care of livestock.
- Infrastructure repair and maintenance, including construction of high tunnel in spring.
- Tractor operation.
- Harvest of all crops.
- Participate in school group/community visits and apple picking events.
- Assist in planning, preparation and distributions for CSA.
- Assist in management of farm stand/farm shop operations.
- Clean up/winterize orchard and farm.
- Participate in strategic planning and management of farm operations.
- Supervise college interns and community service groups.
Dates: April 1 through December 15, 2016.
Days/hours: Monday through Friday, with some Saturdays in the fall during CSA distributions. Hours vary from 40-50/week.
Application deadline: Feb 15, 2016.
Minimum qualifications: At least one (preferably 2-3) years of farming experience, preferably organic farming. Values consistent with organic, environmentally sustainable operation, dedicated to high-quality products, and committed customer service. Enthusiasm, initiative, solid interpersonal skills, ability to work independently, ability to supervise and motivate others, and good humor are required. Also required is ability to lift 50 lbs. and valid driver’s license. We are a non-smoking farm. No housing is available.
Wage/Salary/Benefits: $1500/mo stipend, farm produce.
Application requirements: Please send resume, letter of interest, and names/contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about this position, please contact us via email: smallonesfarm@ att.net. We will contact qualified applicants to schedule a farm visit and interview.