The Great Barrington Farmers Market will be opening for its’ 30th season on May 16th, at 9 am-1 pm at its’ Church Street location in downtown Great Barrington. The Market will continue to offer a dollar for dollar match on SNAP through the Market Match program. HIP benefits can be redeemed at five Market vendors. For the first weeks of the season, the Market will look very different due to the outbreak of COVID-19. The market managers have taken into consideration recommendations and policies from local, state, and federal governments. As well as guidance from Mass Farmers Markets and The Farmers Market Coalition. We hope that these measures will not be necessary for the entire season, but will be in place until restrictions on social distancing are lifted. Please see below for a summary of restrictions.
- To reduce browsing orders should be placed ahead of time whenever possible. A full list of participating vendors can be found on our website greatbarringtonfarmersmarket.org
- A special shopping hour for senior and high-risk Immunocompromised people will be available from 9 am-10 am
- All shoppers are asked to wear masks.
- There will be no eating or drinking at the market
- Dogs will not be permitted at the market
- There will be no public bathrooms, seating areas, or live music
- We encourage shoppers to use minimal cash
- There will be only one entrance to the market and the number of customers allowed in will be limited. It may be possible that you will need to wait in line to enter the market
- Please only send one member of your household to the market whenever possible
- Please make safe health choices. Do not come to the market if you are sick or have been sick in the last 14 days
We did not expect the market to look this way and we are holding onto hope that it won’t be like this for our entire season. COVID-19s impact on the local food economy is wide-reaching. Its’ amplification of food insecurity frightening. That is why we believe it is more important than ever for the market to provide an essential sales outlet for farmers and small food producers, as well as access to fresh local foods for the food insecure. We appreciate in advance the support of the community as we open under these strange and difficult circumstances. There is so much about what the future looks like that we do not know.
With so much unknown, let’s focus on our mission and what we believe. We believe in the power of food and regenerative agriculture. We believe in nurturing a resilient local food system. We believe in creating a culture of care and accessibility. We believe in the power of our small local economy. We believe each person, regardless of means, should have access to healthy food. We believe in Farmers and their essential role in society. We know will be back for the 2020 season. We know the market may look a bit different than it has in the past. New guidelines and systems designed to keep our community safe need to be instituted. We know you’ll help us with that. The opening of our Market is about one month away. We will keep you informed as the date draws closer. Until then buy local, donate what you can, and cook good food for the ones you love. We will see you at the Market.