Holyoke Community College Culinary Arts and Pioneer Valley Culinary Associates ACF Chapter of Western Massachusetts will be hosting a farmer’s festival this coming Sunday, November 1, 11-3, in lower parking lot J at HCC as part of this year’s “One Campus, One Theme — Food” initiative.
The festival will include fresh produce and items for display and sale from local farms, as well as cooking demonstrations and other food-related activities and presentations from HCC academic departments, programs and clubs.
The day’s activities and demonstrations will include:
- Live music: Performances by HCC music students lead by HCC music professor and jazz guitarist Bob Ferrier
- Market Basket Cooking Competition: in conjunction with culinary programs from HCC, Pathfinder, Job Corp and Chicopee Comprehensive High School, senior chefs will team up with students and create dishes from basket items provided by local farmers. Guests will be able to watch chefs prepare in the HCC Culinary Lab and taste samples of prepared food
- HCC Nutrition students, organize by professor of Nutrition Laura Christoph will provide information about health eating, distribute recipes and nutrient analysis.
- Physical activites and demonstrations lead by HCC Wellness Club
- HCC Sustainability Club / program will demonstrate composting techniques and vermiculture (composting with worms)
- a solar powered electric kettle
- apple cider press