Hiring: 2021 Farm Crew (seasonal, full-time) – Appleton Farms
Appleton Farms is one of the oldest continually operating farms in the country and is managed by the Trustees of Reservations, a Massachusetts nonprofit land conservation organization. We grow vegetables using organic practices on 35 acres for a 625-member summer CSA and 200-member winter CSA. We are a team-oriented farm focused on healthy soil, efficient systems, and high-quality production. The property totals 1000 acres and features a grass-fed dairy and beef operation, education and public programs, and beautiful grassland and forest trails.
The Farm Crew position is a seasonal position with a variable work schedule. This individual works in all aspects of organic vegetable production for summer and winter CSAs and year-around wholesale accounts. These responsibilities include greenhouse and high tunnel production, field operations, vegetable harvest, and wash and pack. The farm crew is trained in farm systems and has an opportunity to learn efficient practices for high-quality organic production.
- The farm crew is involved in all aspects of organic vegetable production, including greenhouse and high tunnel operations, field practices, harvest, CSA distribution, and farm projects. Please note that the CSA farm crew does not work in livestock operations.
- There is an opportunity to take on additional responsibility over the season such as leading harvests or managing a production arena
- Interested crew members will have an opportunity to be trained in the safe operation and maintenance of one of our tractors and its implements
- Farming experience is not required. Applicants with farm experience must be open minded and interested in relearning skills to fit our systems
- Passionate and motivated to work on a production-oriented farm. Eager to learn and receive constructive feedback
- Works well in a team-oriented environment and possess strong communication skills
- Detail oriented and strives for efficiency
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs, and be able to crouch or bend for long periods of time in all types of weather
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Must be able to accommodate seasonal work schedule
- March/April to October. Part-time November work possible.
- Weekly hours vary from 30 hours/week in spring to 55 hours per week in the summer. Regular hours for June through September are Monday – Friday 7am to 5pm. There is a one hour paid lunch.
- Work one Saturday per month (8am-12 pm) during the height of the growing season
- Five days unpaid vacation time
- Compensation is $13.50 -16.00/hour, based on experience
- Farm crew have the option to participate in employer sponsored health insurance
- Housing is available
- Farm grown produce for individual use
- Training: access to planning documents and records, farmer’s library, farm safety training, tractor operation and maintenance, option to participate in Eastern Mass CRAFT program, and assistance in future endeavors
- Free admission to Trustees of Reservations properties, including nearby Crane Beach
Please send an email to email@example.com with your resume and interest in the position. Include any prior farm experience and your interest in the farm.