Hiring: Assistant Grower – Downing Park Urban Farm
Newburgh Urban Farm and Food Initiative (NUFFI) is a not-for-profit organization located in the City of Newburgh NY with a mission to empower residents working together to build a just and resilient food system that improves the environment and the health of the community.
The Downing Park Urban Farm (DPUF) is a 2-acre farm that serves as a model for urban growing techniques using organic practices. DPUF features growing in lined, raised beds to prevent contamination from urban soils; in-ground no-till “carbon farming”, a 24’x72’ high tunnel, a greenhouse, a flower cutting garden, a small orchard and beehive.
DPUF produce is donated to local pantries and soup kitchens and distributed through our Fresh Bags off the farm sales.
Position Title: Assistant Grower Downing Park Urban Farm (DPUF)
This position starts mid-February and goes to the end of November. Mid-February to mid-March and in November the position is 20 hours/week. The position is 40 hours/week from mid-March to the end of October.
- Assisting Farm Manager in all farm duties, including production, produce delivery, land management, small machine use and record keeping.
- Off farm sales of produce and flowers.
- Maintenance of farm infrastructure, tools and equipment.
- Assisting in the preparation for and management of volunteer groups.
- Farming experience required – at least two seasons preferred.
- Driver’s license with clean record required.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift heavy objects.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish is preferred but not a requirement.
- Ability to complete complex farm tasks quickly and accurately.
- Self-motivated to work quickly and efficiently, either alone or in a group, whether the task at hand is time sensitive or monotonous.
- Capable of making minor repairs to equipment and infrastructure.
- Experience with carpentry, small engine use and maintenance preferred.
- Demonstrated organizational skill.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
- Enthusiasm for food and farming and the ability to positively motivate others.
- Comfortable working among a diverse set of community members.
- Displays initiative and thinks and acts creatively.
- Strong communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Is positive, enthusiastic, and has the ability to see the big picture while paying close attention to detail.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is $20-$22/hour depending on experience and includes 96 hours of personal time off and up to 10 holidays per calendar year.
Housing is not provided.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume as one document in PDF or Word format outlining 1) your experience with the requirements listed above and 2) why you are interested in this position. Email all materials to email@example.com with the subject “Assistant Grower Application.” Applications will be reviewed as received and interviews will begin as needed. Position is open until filled.
NUFFI is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, marital status, disability, age, citizenship status, familial status, ancestry, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.