Hiring: Assistant Manager – Hart Farm
Hart Farm is a 2 acre, woman run farm in Conway, MA. Using both traditional and modern growing practices, the farm maximizes efficiency with a small labor team. The farm uses organic growing practices in order to maintain natural and nurtured produce, flowers and eggs. Hart Farm sells delicious, clean and beautiful food (infused with good vibes), to the Greenfield and Tuesday Northampton farmers markets as well as local restaurants and groceries. Additionally, the farm delivers a bi-weekly local box-share service to members in west Franklin and Hampshire Counties.
Hart Farm is seeking an Assistant Manager for the 2020 growing season.
The Assistant Manager understands the ins-and-outs of the farm. He/She/They will work with the Manager to gain a full understanding of the daily, weekly and seasonal farming schedule. The Assistant Manager has a wholistic understanding of the farm and is responsible for daily chores, field preparation, cultivation, harvesting, washing and packing produce. This means that the Assistant Manager is comfortable communicating with the Farm Manager and does not have a problem delegating his/her/their own jobs. The Assistant Manager is expected to develop ownership of his/her/their work and will work solo at times and will manage other field crew at times. The Assistant Manager may have work at farmer’s markets or in produce delivery situations and is expected to represent the farm in a respectful, friendly and considerate manner.
This position is held from April-mid October, 4-5 days/week, 8am-5pm. The job offers $16-18/hr depending on prior experience. 5 unpaid days vacation.
This position offers all the veggies, fruit, flowers and eggs you might want.
There is an opportunity for free on farm (rustic) housing.
Assistant Manager responsibilities/duties
- Chicken care and egg processing
- Harvest planning, inventory and organization
- Produce packing and delivering
- Field preparation (by hand and with tractor)
- Greenhouse seeding and care
- Field seeding and transplanting
- Hoeing and hand weeding
- Farmers market vending
- At least 3 years experience on a vegetable production farm.
- Fast and hardworking
- Pro-active and self-motivated.
- Able to lift 50lbs
- At least 1 year’s experience operating tractors and small engines (weed whackers, roto-tillers, etc).
- Ability to communicate clearly and honestly.
- Ability to manage others in a productive and kind manner.
- A valid drivers license.
Preferred candidate is someone who:
- Has worked on diversified farms
- Has worked with flower production/flower design
- Has worked at farmers markets before
- Has experience with engine mechanics
- Has managed field crews before
To apply, send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.