Hiring: Communications Coordinator – CISA
Job Opening: Communications Coordinator
Status: 40 (full-time) hours a week
Time Frame: Review begins August 27, 2020, position open until filled
Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture (CISA) is a nonprofit organization that strengthens farms and engages the community to build the local food economy. Our programs include the Be a Local Hero, Buy Locally Grown® marketing campaign, educational activities for the public, technical assistance trainings and workshops for farmers, and programs to expand market options for farmers and increase access to local food in our region. We believe that an informed and engaged community is essential to a resilient local food economy. Local food builds community by connecting us to farmers, to the seasons, and to each other.
Our team has a range of skills and life experiences and is a mix of trainers, policy experts, fundraisers, communicators, and administrators. We work to build a diverse and resilient food economy with viable farms, fair and just working conditions, strong environmental stewardship, and accessible and available local food in all of our communities. We are committed to understanding the history and current impacts of racism in the food system and actively work towards equity. We are committed to recruiting and retaining creative, ethical, smart, and innovative people.
The Communications Coordinator supports the Communications Manager in implementing communications and educational activities that support the mission of the organization. This includes: supporting CISA’s online presence (website and social media); writing and creative development; creation and management of community event(s); and maintaining communications systems. The Communications Coordinator manages the day-to-day activities for this work and collaborates with the Communications Manager to set strategic goals and develop new program strategies and activities.
Our ideal candidate will have some prior experience with and enjoy communicating effectively to different audiences across different channels. Our candidate can connect ideas and individual stories to our mission and is inspired to share people’s stories through a variety of platforms. Our candidate is detail oriented and sees the big picture. Our candidate is a capable project manager, has systems to organize themself, and is tenacious when working towards a goal.
1) Implement CISA’s communications initiatives:
- Support development and execution of annual communications objectives as established through a work plan;
- Manage day-to-day logistics of communications work, including social media and website, in coordination with CISA staff and external partners;
- Coordinate and/or implement design, editing, and dissemination of all communications, especially communications to the general public;
- Work with other CISA departments to implement objectives of organization and ensure that communications meet our standards of quality in terms of content, messaging, and outreach;
- Implement Field Notes, CISA’s premiere communications and public storytelling event; and,
- Keep track of accomplishments, evaluate effectiveness, assist in grant reporting, and stay on budget with support from supervisor.
2) Bring creative and strategic thinking about communications to further CISA’s mission.
3) Represent CISA at public presentations and other venues/channels as needed.
Perform other related duties as assigned by the Communications Manager.
REPORTING and SUPERVISION
This position reports to the Communications Manager. May include opportunities to supervise occasional interns.
- Self-motivated with the ability to collaborate well
- Successful experience with project management, including timeline organization, managing up, and the ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Proven ability to write concisely and compellingly, on a deadline, in English, about a variety of subjects
- Ability to create and use spreadsheets, experience with MS Office suite
- Familiarity with social media platforms
- Comfortable (and persistent in) reaching out to people on the phone and over email for deadline driven work
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Adobe Suite experience (specifically InDesign and Photoshop) or graphic design experience
- Experience with Airtable and Google Analytics
- Experience in the sustainable agriculture field
- Spanish proficiency
Hours and compensation: $19-$22/hour, depending on experience. This is a full-time 40 hours/week, non-exempt position. Health care, vision, dental, long-term disability, 401K matching, sick time, holidays, and vacation are offered. Access to a car and some weekend and evening availability are required.
Due to COVID-19 all CISA positions are currently remote. Successful candidates must have access to home workspace, internet access, and phone capabilities (CISA will provide computer). Continued remote work post-pandemic may be possible, with regular required travel to the CISA office. Occasional travel within CISA’s service area (Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin counties, MA) for communications outreach and events will be required.
Writing samples and references may be requested.
CISA is an equal opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which CISA is firmly bound. CISA will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with CISA on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran, or other characteristics protected by law. We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.