Hiring: Community Engagement Manager – Amherst Food Coop
The Amherst Food Co-op (AFC) is seeking a community engagement manager. Your skills and experience include:
- A passionate commitment to social and food justice
- Strong networks in the Amherst area
- An understanding of and belief in the cooperative business model
- Experience in community organizing
- A self-starter who is well-organized
- Familiarity with Spanish or Chinese is a plus
The Amherst Food Co-op is committed to including the whole community, so the co-op is especially seeking a person who has connections with marginalized or underserved communities in the region and is committed to advocacy for food justice.
This is a part-time, 20 hour/week, non-benefitted, at-will position. The community engagement manager will work under the supervision of and report to the board of directors.
Pay will be in the range of $16 to $20/hour. Work will be required on weekends and evenings, as the need arises.
General responsibilities of the community engagement manager are as follows:
- Build public awareness and understanding of the Amherst Food Co-op
- Deepen understanding of the whole community’s needs through facilitating listening circles and other forms of outreach
- Recruit new member-owners through personal contacts, speaking engagements, tabling, scheduled public events, phone calls, house parties, and networking
- Recruit volunteers to assist in all aspects of the startup phase and beyond; develop and conduct volunteer trainings, coordinate volunteer activities.
- Engage all communities in the AFC trade area, with special emphasis on under-represented and underserved communities
- Establish and build collaborative partnerships with community stakeholders
- Increase AFC’s visibility in local media: print, radio, TV, social media
- Report weekly on progress to AFC board of directors via community engagement manager support person
For more information, contact: