Hiring: Community Support Coordinator – Just Roots
Just Roots is growing! Will you be the newest member of our small, bright, skilled, passionate, exuberant, equity-driven team? Join Just Roots to build vibrant community, equity and health through food, farming and connection. Working at Just Roots comes with an abundance of fresh produce straight from our fields during the harvest season and the opportunity to put your skills to build a more equitable world! We love our work and are proud of the power and impact of our small yet mighty team. Looking forward to reeling in more rockstars.
WHO IS JUST ROOTS:
Just Roots is a social justice organization that builds equity, connection, health, pride and empowerment in our community and beyond through food-based programs and systems change. Our farm, programming and advocacy efforts connect people to food and one another. We do our work by growing food; connecting people of all ages and life experiences with the land; running an all-income CSA (we’ve got the biggest SNAP-enrolled low-income CSA in the state!); cooking community meals; developing partnerships with schools, health insurance companies, legislators, health clinics and other resource agencies; researching the health outcomes of CSA participation and more. We build direct access, models, momentum and evidence for change in agricultural policy, food policy and social justice. We are a small, efficient, farm-based organization with a goal to change the food system and bring more equity to the world.
Community Support Coordinator:
Work in person and on the ground with community members to address food insecurity and engage people in Just Roots programming, including field trips, volunteer groups, cooking classes, and CSA distributions.
APPLY BY: February 20th 8AM
40 hours/week, salaried position
Primarily in person in Greenfield.
June-October: Primarily Tuesday – Saturday
November-May: Primarily Monday – Friday
COMPENSATION: $50,000 salaried position + Just Roots Farm Share + Healthcare + Retirement that includes 3% guaranteed contribution by Just Roots + paid time off.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- WORKSHOPS and EVENTS:
- Staff CSA distributions twice/week June through October, and at least 1/month November through May
- Prepare food demonstrations for CSA distributions
- Work closely with the Community Engagement Coordinator to run vibrant workshops, events, and community meals
- Work closely with Farm Coordinators to provide enriching experiences for volunteers, visiting community partners, and k-12, field trips.
- Connect with community — doorknock, deliver materials to participants’ doorsteps, table at/attend community events and participate in meetings that allow for new connections
- Support the marketing of events and workshops, tabling, flyer, etc.
- Participate in trainings and meetings related to Hunger, Food Access, Equity and Health to deepen Just Roots community connections and opportunities
- Field questions and provide support in person and by phone regarding local programs
- Handle bulk orders and pack out monthly ingredients kits for cooking classes
- Track outreach and program participation for evaluation and grant reporting
- Support additional programming and community engagement efforts as new programs/projects arise
- Actively participate in trainings, events and team meetings to build an inclusive and joyful culture amongst the Just Roots team and community
- Outstanding communicator — Will communicate through text, email, phone, in-person and in virtual gathering spaces with community, team members and partners
- Outgoing, confident, humble and easeful to engage with new people — this includes everything from knocking on strangers’ doors or cooking with strangers via zoom or in person, to creating new connections at a networking section of a meeting
- Confident working both independently and as a member of a collaborative team both directly and remotely
- Confident and enthusiastic about cooking! (Don’t need to be a Chef, but you should be someone who loves to talk about food, and can easefully recommend and describe simple and delicious ways of preparing food!)
- Ease in both navigating basic computer software programs (google docs and sheets, basic graphic design and back-end web, Microsoft and Google suite and learning new basic programs used by Just Roots)
- Exceptionally organized, detail-oriented and able to juggle competing priorities and dynamic projects
- Experience in and commitment to working with, following the lead of, and elevating the voices of our community members, community organizing experience
- Ability to be outdoors and on your feet for many hours in all safe weather conditions
- Current driver’s license required and ability to drive both to the farm and to events throughout the workday — work mileage (not commuting to the office) reimbursed if in personal car, but organizational vehicles typically available
- Flexible and responsive – inspired by trying new things, reflecting, learning, pivoting and trying again!
- Competency in making swift and sound independent judgment calls, and commitment to collaborative, mindful and thorough decision-making processes
- Driven to be a part of change in this world, with an abundance of positivity and hope (no expectation to check the rest of your emotions at the door — we’re also angry and heartbroken about the inequities plaguing our world — but we need your hope and positivity too!)
- 1+ year of project coordination experience
- Spanish fluency preferred
- Russian, Romanian, or Portuguese fluency
WORK DURING COVID-19: Just Roots programs and efforts continue providing food and building strength and equity in our communities during these challenges and physically distanced times. For this position, some of the work may be done remotely. You will need
access to a computer (provided by Just Roots), reliable phone service and wifi. Travel to and working in a shared office in Greenfield, as well as meeting with staff, community members and partners will also be required. Safety is our priority — Just Roots will follow CDC and local guidelines. Decisions on the timing of return to a daily office presence will be communicated in a timely manner. Continued remote work will be discussed on an individual basis.
A Just Roots laptop will be provided for your use. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter and resume.