Hiring: Distribution Assistant – Waltham Fields Community Farm
Waltham Fields Community Farm (WFCF)
Distribution Assistant Job Description 2021
Waltham Fields Community Farm promotes local agriculture and food access through our farming operations and education programs, using practices that are socially, ecologically, and economically sustainable. We encourage healthy relationships between people, their food supply, and the land from which it grows.
Waltham Fields Community Farm is a nonprofit farming organization focusing on food access and education. We produce organically-grown vegetables on over 15 acres of leased land in Waltham and Weston, with 20% of our harvests dedicated to low-income households. Our largest source of revenue generation and community engagement is a 400-share community supported agriculture (CSA) program. We also run a Learning Garden and educational programs for children and youth, train farmers, and welcome volunteers, who provide over 2,000 hours of assistance each year. Our annual budget is funded by CSA shares, educational program tuition, grants from public agencies and private foundations, and donations. We have eight year-round staff members and 12+ seasonal staff. Since our founding in 1995, we have grown from a small volunteer-run effort into a mature organization serving a variety of critical community needs, including mentorship and resource-sharing for new farms and farmers in the region.
Distribution Barn Description: The Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program at WFCF provides 20 weeks of farm fresh vegetables and Pick-Your-Own crops from early June through late October. Shareholders pick up on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. In response to COVID-19 our CSA program has transitioned to a boxed model and all CSA shares will be packed prior to distribution. The Distribution Assistant will work alongside the Distribution Manager and volunteers to pack approximately 145 CSA share boxes on Fridays to be distributed on Saturdays.
- Efficiently and accurately pack all CSA share boxes
- Communicate systems and safety protocols to volunteers when Distribution Manager is not present, including COVID-19 safety procedures
- Lift up to 50 lb. and to do heavy lifting repeatedly throughout each shift as much as needed
- Create a wam, friendly, and fun environment for participants and volunteers
- Put away vegetable bins and crates as necessary during the shift
- Help maintain a clean and orderly barn environment
- Assist with all aspects of setup and cleanup before and after every shift
- Convey a strong, informed understanding of the farm, our products, the organizations involved, farm practices, CSA procedures, and other relevant information
- Experience with or interest in organic vegetable production, farm stand sales and/or seasonal cooking
- Strong verbal communication skills
- A friendly, outgoing, welcoming personality and a neat, professional appearance
- A strong work ethic, attention to detail, and a sense of urgency when completing time-sensitive tasks
- An ability to cope with a fast-paced, unpredictable work environment with periods of high volume and varying weather conditions
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team
- Ability to lift 50 lb. and to do heavy lifting repeatedly throughout each shift as needed
Fridays, June 11-October 29, 12:30-4:30pm, plus three Fridays in November and December for Extended Season distributions.
Email Ana Strayton at firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief statement of why you are interested and why you think you would be a good fit for the Distribution Assistant position.
We Are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Waltham Fields Community Farm is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, pregnancy or medical or common conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, marital status, disability, age, citizenship status, familial status, ancestry, veteran status, genetic information, receipt of free medical care, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. Waltham Fields Community Farm will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. This commitment is evident in all aspects of WFCF’s employment practices and policies.