Hiring: Education Events Organizer and PR Coordinator
The NOFA/Mass Education Events Organizer and PR Coordinator is responsible for planning, promoting and executing 20-30 educational workshops throughout the state of Massachusetts. In our 30+ years of existence our richest and most grass-roots mechanism for sharing information in the organization has been through these on-farm/on-site workshops where participants see and do for a real hands-on learning experience.
Major Responsibilities Include:
Programming and Logistics:
- Work with NOFA/Mass Education Director and the NOFA/Mass Education Committee to develop a comprehensive educational agenda to serve the NOFA/Mass constituencies of farmers, gardeners, landscapers, homesteaders, and consumers.
- Identify workshop themes, locations, and instructors.
- Schedule between 20 and 30 half-day on-site workshops per year.
- Outreach to Potential Presenters (Gather from past presenter databases, suggestions from other Board, Staff, allies and personal connections)
- Develop workshop overview, presenter bio, farm/site details, date (weather plan when needed), time, supply lists, images for promotion.
- Field potential and registered attendee questions.
- Education Events Coordinator attend appropriate events, collect on-site registrations, make sure event runs smoothly: if larger event give out name tags, collect any new memberships, renewals or walk-in payments
- Send any fees collected to Registration Coordinator, arrange with Administrative Director for presenter fee pay to be sent out, include receipts and cost of supplies when applicable.
- Respond to emails and phone calls from presenters during planning, workshop and post workshop events.
- Participate in monthly education committee calls, requesting the committee’s expertise on current and future programming.
- Work with Communications Director to create a PR plan for upcoming events, target based on topic, location, collaborators and constituents.
- Write press releases to promote Ed Events.
- Write an article promoting Ed Events in the monthly NOFA/Mass newsletter.
- Implement PR plan through calls and emails to media outlets, other org’s, list serves and individuals.
- Update PR sheets with current outreach content per the established PR timeline.
- Working with the Administrative keep a close eye on Education Events budget actuals
- Coordinate presenter pay and expense reimbursements, Coordinate on-site registration coordination for each event as needed; make sure to timely and accurately send in on-site registration funds to Registration Coordinator within one week of the event
- A strong commitment to and knowledge of organic farming practices.
- One year of event production/coordination experience.
- One year of PR experience, including writing press releases and email alerts.
- Strong communication and people skills.
- Ability to work collegially as a team member as well as independently from home, with minimal supervision;
- Basic office management and computer software skills.
- 15-19 hours per week, with generally flexible schedule.
- Starting pay: $13-18 per hour, dependent on experience, with no health insurance benefits.
- Employee must maintain a current NOFA/Mass membership.
- Employee must attend NOFA/Mass retreats and staff meetings, the winter and summer conferences, and education department conference calls.
- Employee must provide appropriate basic office equipment to facilitate working from home
- Employee must submit weekly staff reports to the Executive Director, participate in peer reviews of other centrally-hired NOFA/Mass staff and maintain monthly timesheets.
By Friday, February 19th, send resume and three references to Julie Rawson, Executive Director. If you have questions, email Julie or call (978) 355-2853.
NOFA/Mass is an equal opportunity employer who does not discriminate in employment and contracting practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability.