Hiring: Farm Apprentice – Stillman Quality Meats
About Our Farm:
Stillman Quality Meats, LLC is a diverse livestock farm located in Hardwick, MA specializing in grass-fed and pasture raised meats, poultry, eggs and specialty water fowl. The farm is situated on two properties, comprised of over 250 acres and includes an on-farm abattoir for poultry slaughter and red meat processing and a commercial farm kitchen. Our farm is unique in that we are the only farm in MA that produces and processes all of its own meat and poultry products which we market through our extensive network of farmers’ markets (18 summer and 3 winter), our year-round retail space at the Boston Public Market and through our CSA systems and local chefs and restaurants. From our farm abattoir, our farm features hand- cut meats, artisan sausages and specialty farm products all featuring farm ingredients. In addition, the farm raises over 1000 turkeys for the Thanksgiving holiday season and hosts several on farm education opportunities for customers and local farm enthusiasts.
Our farm employs two farm apprentice positions for the summer 2016 season running from March 15th through November 30th. Farm apprentices are required to commit to the entire season and work a full work week of 51/2 hours to include one weekend day. Apprentices receive a weekly salary of $300 plus access to farm products as well as goodies from farm friends and partners. In addition, opportunities are provided throughout the season for education and outreach at local farms, restaurant and with various food producers. All interested applicants must spend one full work day on the farm for a review. No previous experience required, but a great attitude is essential.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Daily watering & feeding and pasture rotation of broiler chickens, laying hens, ducks, turkeys, pigs and cattle
- Management of chick brooder
Equipment maintenance, fence construction and repair
- General carpentry and construction
- Maintenance and daily updates to livestock and processing records
- Poultry slaughter and processing
- Red Meat processing and butchering
- Assisting with products processing, packaging & inventory
- Retail sales of products
- Delivery of products
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Commitment to work the full length of the apprenticeship
- Willingness to work long hours in all weather conditions
- Ability to stand on your feet and lift 50lbs on a regular basis
- Willingness to work in a challenging and dynamic work environment
Enjoys working with animals
- Ability to work independently or as a part of a team
- Ability to follow directions and take work orders
Positive work attitude and an eagerness to learn
Good communication skills
- Neat, punctual and reliable with good organization skills
- Shows initiative
Interested in getting your hands dirty and joining our team for the summer? This is a great opportunity to learn hands-on from a dynamic and growing farm all aspects of livestock farming: from animal husbandry to slaughter and processing to sales, marketing and customer relations.
Send a resume, 3 references (phone and email) and please provide answers to the following questions: (Please notify references that we will be contacting them)
- Why are you interested in working at Stillman Quality Meats this season?
- How did you learn about this internship?
- How does this apprenticeship fit into your personal & professional goals now and in the future?
- What skills would you like to learn from this experience?
- How would a past employer describe you?
- How would a co-worker describe you?
- What skills/experience do you bring to this position that you think would be beneficial?
- Please describe any past experience working on a farm, working with animals or working in the local food movement?
- Anything else you want to tell us?