Hiring: Farm Manager – Greenway Farm
Biointensive Farm south of Boston seeks Farm Manager
Greenway farm is a sustainability-focused farm using biointensive techniques, wind energy, and aquaponics. Our goal is to provide high quality local produce for our community. The 2 acre farm (including greenhouses) sits within 108 acres zoned to become the home of Kingston Village, a open space green community in Kingston, MA. We seek a self starter who would be excited to manage the daily farm operations independently while working with the owner to develop a structured long term plan. We are committed to our “no fossil fuel” philosophy and to keeping aquaponics system in operation but are very welcoming to ideas for other farm enterprise.
- Planning, organization, supervision, and administration of activities
- Implementing the short and long term business plans, which includes continuing to develop the farms infrastructure, processes, and systems (including our hugelkultur mound, vermiculture project and aquaponics system)
- Work to further build quality of soil (we started with compacted sand and would like to continue adding compost and biochar)
- Overseeing all aspects of vegetable and fish production, operation of 2 greenhouses and water table, farm administration, produce marketing and distribution
- Recruiting, managing, and leading support staff, interns, and volunteers
- Work with chefs to develop a stronger farm-to-table restaurant model
- Work with owner to develop long term, structured plan for farm
- Bachelor degree in Agricultural/Farm Business Management required or alternatively proven track record of practical experience
- 3+ years of successful farm management experience
- Overall responsibility for a farm including crop management, pest control, maintenance, finance and budget management
- Strong project management skills and experience
- Strong knowledge of biointensive practices
- Strong financial and business acumen
- Strong leader and communicator
- Strong project management skills
- Private, on farm housing (or room to park your RV/trailer)
- Access to unlimited farm produced food
- Salary TBD
We are located in Kingston, MA, an hour south of Boston on Cape Cod Bay and an hours drive from Hyannis on Cape Cod. The South Shore is home to many historical sites (including Plimoth Plantation), coastal wildlife preserves and cranberry bogs. The farm itself is within walking distance to a major commuter rail and very close to several restaurants and cafes.
You can find more information about the farm in our South Shore Living article and by watching a video produced by our local community access network, here. Please also take a look at our website that has further information on our sister projects www.nofossilfuel.com.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org