Hiring: Farm Manager: Hudson Valley Farm Hub
Appointment: Permanent, Full-time
The Hudson Valley Farm Hub is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture based on 1,500 acres of prime farmland in Hurley, NY. We are dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We are seeking a Farm Manager to join our team. Working as part of the Farm Hub Operations team, the Farm Manager will be responsible for the oversight of all production activities and the day-to-day management of our organic certified field crop operations.
The Farm Manager will work under the direction of our Director of Farm Operations to supervise the field crops team, plan and manage field crops production, and ensure that quality and food safety measures are followed. He/she/they will coordinate the annual crop planning process and will oversee the integration of on-farm research into production. As part of the Farm Hub management team, the Farm Manager will work to implement clear operational policies and procedures, represent the Farm Hub’s work, and promote a safe, compassionate working and learning environment for all staff, trainees, educators, and guests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead whole farm planning, in coordination with production teams and upper management.
- Manage the production of field crops and the storage and post harvest handling of grains.
- Manage all production records, including FSMA/GAP and organic certifications, and pesticide applications
- Oversee applied research projects related to all field crops production and soil health activities
- Ensure the proper upkeep and maintenance of equipment and facilities
- Develop and implement short and long-term work plans
- Assist the Director of Farm Operations in monitoring budget and expenses
- Coordinate with Distribution team on the marketing of agricultural products
- Assist with on-site training of employees
- Participate in on-farm events as needed
- Keep up to date with new advances in applied farming technologies
- Serve as liaison to the local farming community
- Help to promote and maintain good relationships with customers, neighbors, and partners
- Help to align all farm operations with the Farm Hub’s long term strategic vision in collaboration with the Farm Hub management team
- Collaborate with all Farm Hub programs, including Agricultural Education and Training and Farmscape Ecology
- Serve as public spokesperson and represent the Farm Hub through presentations and attendance at selected events.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Experience and Skills
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in effectively management of a large farming operation, including the production of field and vegetable crops using organic methods
- Experience in the planning and management of diversified crop production using soil conservation practices.
- Ability to make critical decisions under pressure, specifically during periods of peak operations
- Demonstrated success in the management and supervision of staff
- Commitment to the Farm Hub’s mission of equity and ecological resilience
- Excellent communication, listening, and interpersonal skills are required to effectively work with and supervise employees with a wide range of skill sets, educational levels and work experiences.
- Presentation skills and enthusiasm for knowledge sharing
- Written and verbal proficiency in English
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and/or Google Sheets
- Demonstrated ability to foster a work environment of mutual respect, team building, and collaboration
- Experience with upkeep and maintenance of facilities and farm equipment
- Willingness to have a flexible schedule with weekend hours as required
- Valid NYS drivers’ license
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Verbal proficiency in Spanish
- Knowledge of the Northeast farming community, especially Hudson Valley
- Experience with precision agriculture technology.
This is a full-time position. Due to the nature of agriculture, evening and weekend work may be required during the planting and harvest seasons. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. The salary range is $75,000 – $90,000. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Hudson Valley Farm Hub is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic, and experiential backgrounds. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, and differently-abled people.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Farm Manager” in the subject line of your email. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
To find out more, visit the Hudson Valley Farm Hub at http://www.hvfarmhub.org