Hiring: Farm Manager – Victory Program’s ReVision Urban Farm
Located in Dorchester, Revision Urban Farm harvests fresh organic produce for distribution to the community through our Farm Stand, Community Supported Agriculture programs, local farmer’s markets and to residents of Victory Programs shelter programs.
The Farm Manager is responsible for overall management of the ReVision Urban Farm, including marketing, value -added products, field preparation, crop production, equipment maintenance, and staff supervision.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Using organic growing practices, oversee, direct, coordinate and/or perform the farming duties at urban agricultural sites.
- Supervise, direct, train and evaluate assigned farm staff.
- Facilitate weekly farm meeting and monitor participation and attendance.
- Prepare and monitor annual farm budgets.
- Monitor retail income, process and track all expenditures.
- Evaluate and purchase new equipment to increase efficiencies.
- Establish partnerships with other institutions with common interests in agriculture, health, etc and work with other farmers to build relationships and stronger local food system.
- Provide oversight and maintenance of all farm records.
- Assist in grant research, writing and reporting.
- Evaluate farm programs and ensure that the farm is in compliance with all statutory and contractual requirements and policies are being observed and administered by staff and that farm operations are accomplishing goals.
- Develop and revise as necessary all program policies and procedure to ensure best practices are followed, documented and passed-on.
- Coordinate the educational component for job trainees, seasonal staff and volunteers and oversee activities to accomplish the work of the farm.
- Assist in planning and implementing an expanded vocational program.
- Work with team on the farm expansion projects as required and participate in strategic planning efforts for the farm expansion project.
- Demonstrated strong understanding of agricultural practices, whole farm planning, crop rotation, soil enhancement methods, soil science and general ecological principles.
- Degree in related field and 5 years organic vegetable crop production experience preferred.
- Experience with growing in greenhouses a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences and to participate effectively as member of team.
- Proficient computer skills, including the use of Microsoft products
- Ability to organize volunteer groups safely and productively.
- Expertise in balancing physical labor, administrative duties and planning/guiding farm expansion.
- Experience with vocational programming and homeless population preferred.
- Ability to lift 25-50 pounds.
- Must be at least 25 years of age with a valid Massachusetts driver’s license and a safe driving point rating of 98, 99, 00, 01, 02 or 03.
- Current TB assessment, CPR, First Aid and ServSafe certifications.
- Rate: $52,358
Schedule: Full Time (40 hours/ week)
To apply: Upload resume here: ReVision Urban Farm Manager
Victory Programs has helped individuals and families in crisis for 45 years. Thousands turn to us yearly for shelter, sustenance, recovery, care, and professional, compassionate support. Most struggle with homelessness, substance use and mental health, and many live with HIV/AIDS. Our team of more than 200 staff across 19 programs works with people to develop and execute creative, safe solutions to the very real challenges our clients face.
Our benefit program includes a 75% health and 25% dental employer premium contribution, 100% employer paid disability and life insurances, 19 days of earned time in your first year, sick time, personal days, tuition remission, and a retirement savings opportunity.
* Victory Programs requires all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Individuals may request exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons.