Hiring: Farmhand – Wallow & Root Pasture Farm (Oregon)
Wallow & Root Pasture Farm, located in Sandy, Oregon, about 40 minutes East of Portland. At Wallow & Root, it’s definitely part of our mission to bring beautifully delicious and sustainably, humanely and pasture raised Heritage Pork to our community. And we plan on doing just that through Piccone’s Corner, our whole animal butcher shop, restaurant and bar opening in early 2021.
But we aren’t stopping there— we are actively participating in the evolving process of shifting our food system to a better one.
Our guiding purpose is to cultivate a reconsidered framework for our local food industry. We want to play a meaningful role in the realization of a more conscious food economy in the Pacific
Northwest by approaching every part of our industry with the question: “Is this interaction practicing love and respect for people, animals, land, food, and culture?”
Our goal is a positive and significant change in our personal, and collective, experiences of agriculture and food in the Pacific Northwest.
We are looking for team members that are excited about these ambitions and want to be part of an inclusive and thoughtful workplace. We work to foster a community of integrity and justice, and prioritize equitable access for those historically marginalized and exploited by the food industry. BIPOC, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Farmhand’s job is to practice mental presence, complete tasks that are essential to the day-to-day farm operations and to maintain the safety and comfort of all livestock at all times.
THE FARMHAND WILL…
- Adhere to company safety protocols during Covid
- Be willing to work outdoors and in all weather conditions
- Operate equipment, common farm tools and small hand tools safely and according to their designated purpose or specification
- Complete assigned daily and weekly tasks consistently. For example, daily and weekly animal care, equipment cleaning, organization etc.
- Work in a team environment and support your fellow team members
- Practice mindfulness of the animals and their welfare at all times
- Have understanding and respect for the dynamics of livestock management and the boundary conditions of our management systems. These are in practiced for a reason: our dedication to animal welfare above all else
- Pay strong attention to detail and demonstrate ability to keep things tidy, organized and clean.
- Possess a strong sense of pride and ownership in their work
- Maintain awareness of our critical objectives. Practice being thorough
- Ask questions, keep learning, and stay positive
This is a year round position, but hours shift seasonally. This position does require weekend and holiday availability.
Competitive wage starting at $15/hour based on experience and Medical Benefits after 90 days of employment for full time employees.