Hiring: Field Hand – The Food Bank’s Cultivating for Community farm
Temporary Field Hand Job Description
“Farm/Field hand (20 hours a week)
Short-term farm hand needed Sept. 2nd -Nov. 17th (maybe through the end of Nov. Crop dependent)
Cultivating for Community is an initiative of the Food Bank of Western Massachusetts.
We are a 1-acre minimal till organic vegetable farm in Hadley, MA.
We donate all our vegetables to local member food pantries.
Include but are not limited to:
– Minimal till practices
– Harvest, washing and packing vegetables
– Transplanting, seeding, weeding, watering, lawn mowing, weed whacking/string trimming and use of a BCS walk behind tractor
– Follow safe food handling practices
– Vegetable bed building, wheelbarrowing of farm materials, mulching, setting irrigation line, trellising, pruning, maintenance, and watering of greenhouses
– Weekend watering and chores
– Pest identification
– Using small hand tools, knife, rakes, hammers, etc..
Our ideal candidate is dependable, efficient, positive, hard working and pays attention to detail. Must be able to work independently as well as with co-workers and volunteers. Must have reliable transportation to the farm in Hadley, MA. Must be able to lift 50 lbs regularly and up to 70lbs on occasion, work in all weather conditions and do repetitive work as needed.
Previous experience with vegetable production is preferred but would enjoy training the right team member. We strive to provide a learning-oriented experience and an all-inclusive environment.
Emerging farmers of color encouraged to apply.
This is a temporary position for Sept. 2nd-Nov. 17th
$17-$19 an hour depending on experience
Please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org