Hiring: Field Worker & Educator – Round the Bend Farm
Field Worker & Educator, 2022 Position
Round the Bend Farm (RTB), a Center for Restorative Community, is located in South Dartmouth,
Massachusetts and is a 115-acre working farm and educational non-profit. We are a living laboratory that cultivates, educates, and empowers people of all ages. We are devoted to the global paradigm shift
toward hope and abundance by valuing diversity, modeling nature, and redefining wealth. RTB is seeking a passionate and motivated individual to join our team as a Field Worker & Educator. We are currently accepting applications on a rolling basis. Start dates are as soon as possible.
Our Field-Worker & Educator is a full-time (40 hours per week) blended position, with approximately
50% of time dedicated to Sustainable Agriculture and approximately 50% dedicated to Education. This
teammate will be working under the direction of our Garden Manager in the operation of RTB’s
diversified market-garden, and also under the direction of our Education Manager, supporting our
education programs and initiatives – engaging farm visitors of all ages in service learning, experiential
education, and a wide range of inquiry-based learning projects.
We are currently growing a diversified range of vegetables, fruits, nuts, edible perennials, mushrooms and medicinal herbs, on roughly 1-2 acres of land (on our main property location), to feed and heal our
community, source to farm events and sell to the public.
At RTB, we use a synthetics-free philosophy of farming, rooted in regenerative relationships and a mix of biodynamic, permaculture and nutrient-dense soil remineralization practices. We emphasize sustainability, natural relationships, ecological vibrancy and working in ways that mirror our mission of “valuing diversity, modeling nature and redefining wealth”.
To a great degree, the above work will be performed outdoors; however, this position may also include
participation in shared community cooking, food preservation, monthly Open Farm Days, and occasional
support of other farm projects as needed. This work will be physically demanding and challenging, but
also grounding, nourishing and rewarding.
As an organization that strives to value diversity in all that we do (it’s even part of our mission!), we take
extra care and place extra value in continuing to diversify our team. Candidate preferences include the
● Some agricultural production experience (apprenticeship/internship or relevant farming/gardening
exposure), and a quick learner that demonstrates sufficient motivation
● Some education experience, either in the classroom or outdoor education, including classroom
management skills and ability to engage and connect with learners of all ages
● Commitment to working in the scope of RTB’s mission (preference may be given to those who have
an active interest in environmental and social justice issues pertaining to both local and global food
● Desire to respect & care for the health of soil, plants, animals and humans
● Desire to participate in and build local, vibrant community
● Persevering work ethic and ability to complete directed tasks in a timely, efficient fashion
● Focused attention to detail and quality
● Personal maturity, mindful self-awareness, dependability and flexibility
● Ability to work outdoors for long hours and in all kinds of conditions
● Ability to work both independently and in groups of diverse people
● Openness to communication, with the ability to accept direction and guidance and ask questions
● Proficiency in (or a willingness to learn) the use of certain tools/farm equipment (harvest knives,
shovels, row covers, drip lines, cultivation tools)
● Ability to perform repetitive tasks such as hand weeding and bagging of certain crops
● Physical ability to lift 50 lbs.
● Open mind, open heart and an open palate… we will be eating well!
● Experience in a communal living situation for those who may be interested in potential RTB
housing (optional and not guaranteed)
● Salary is $31,200 (gross annual income) plus full-time benefits with potential for additional (optional)
event-time pay outside of normal work hours;
● Full-time employee benefits include health & dental insurance, flexible spending account, life &
disability insurance, paid vacation & wellness days and select holidays;
● RTB may provide room & board. Housing may include a private place to sleep (in a tiny house) and a
shared kitchen/dining/library space with laundry facilities and internet available. Please note: This
job is not contingent upon living on the farm. Additional responsibilities to contribute to the
community are required if a candidate decides to live on the farm.
● RTB supports healing, self-care and celebrations in a variety of ways, including bi-annual massages,
use of RTB holistic medicinal practices (like herbal tinctures and our BioMat), team birthday
celebrations and sporadic local beach excursions;
● Daily meals crafted from delicious, vibrant, farm produce;
● Hands-on learning environment focused on all aspects of sustainable living;
● Buzzards Bay breezes and silky South Coast sunsets.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete the RTB Candidate Questionnaire and send a letter of interest telling us about yourself and detailing your motivations and qualifications for this position, along with a brief resume and two professional references. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. Also, please feel free to note in your application which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
Please send materials via email (preferred) to email@example.com or via snail mail at:
Round the Bend Farm (RTB)
92 Allens Neck Road
South Dartmouth, MA 02748
Attn: Human Resources
*ROUND THE BEND FARM (RTB) IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/ AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER* RTB values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. RTB is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.