Hiring: Food Hub Driver – Food Connects
Food Connects is seeking a Part-Time Driver to join the Food Hub Operations Department to ensure the safe, timely, and undamaged transport of all Food Hub products. This person will employ their technical experience, industry knowledge, and attention to detail to distribute food in our primary services areas of Vermont, New Hampshire, and Western Massachusetts.
Position Title: Food Hub Driver (FHD)
Supervisor: Food Hub Operations Manager (FHOM)
Employee Status: Part-Time, Non-Exempt (15-25 hours per week)
We value diversity in all forms and strive to have our employment practices reflect that. We are an equal-opportunity workplace and will not discriminate based on disability or other legally protected categories. If an employee has a disability that makes it difficult to perform their job duties, they are encouraged to notify us to engage in a discussion about reasonable accommodations.
About Food Connects
Food Connects is a dynamic and quickly growing nonprofit organization based in Brattleboro, VT that delivers regionally produced food and educational and consulting services to transform regional food systems. Founded in 2013, Food Connects (FC) is a catalyst for food systems change by connecting the next generation with their food, regional farmers with new markets, and school chefs with regional food.
The Food Connects Food Hub delivers source-identified, regional food from over 125 farms and value-added producers to over 280 wholesale customers in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Western Massachusetts. Currently, we have vehicles on the road for pickups and deliveries 5 days per week. The Food Hub (FH) is experiencing rapid growth and will expand operations, infrastructure, and delivery schedule over the coming year.
The Food Hub Driver (FHD) serves as the public face of a community-oriented food distribution network, ensuring the safe, timely, and undamaged transport of Food Hub products. The FHD must be comfortable operating larger delivery vehicles, have exceptional organizational and record-keeping skills, and the ability to provide courteous, respectful customer service. The FHD will join a team of part-time drivers, supervised by the Food Hub Operations Manager and collaborating closely with the rest of the Food Hub Operations Department.
- Technical Expertise: Familiarity and confidence driving large vehicles, box delivery trucks, or other comparably-sized vehicles.
- Attention to Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed.
- Balancing Team and Individual Needs: Ability to work cohesively within a team environment while independently managing one’s own duties and responsibilities.
- Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Flexibility: Openness to different and new ways of doing things, willingness to modify one’s preferred way or doing things.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Food Hub Deliveries
- Ensure safe, timely, and undamaged pickup and delivery of all Food Hub products in vehicles as large as a 24-foot reefer box truck.
- Act as a cheerful, positive, professional representative of Food Connects, and in all outward-facing interactions, especially with our customers, producers, and partners.
- Inspect and verify the complete contents and quality of all Food Hub products during transport and quickly communicate any issues to the Food Hub Operations Manager.
- Modify order slips at customer drops, as needed, and collect customer signatures and paperwork, as needed.
- Coordinate directly with specific vendors and customers to communicate ETAs and order status, as needed.
- Track and communicate mileage, hours, and other pertinent issues for each route.
Food Hub Fleet & Facilities Maintenance
- Monitor the condition of all truck and refrigeration components, and report and coordinate with the Food Hub Operations Manager and Fleet & Facilities Coordinator around maintenance required.
- Perform daily vehicle safety, food safety, and sanitation-related route and vehicle and record-keeping tasks.
- Provide stakeholders with excellent customer service.
- Maintain detailed records for all work activities.
- Attend regular check-ins with the Food Hub Operations Manager and provide proactive and constructive feedback to aid in continuous improvement.
- Participate in annual self-review.
- Conduct peer reviews of other staff members as requested
- Assist with training FH staff, as needed
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
Food Connects will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals to perform the essential functions of their work to the degree we can do so.
The ideal candidate has availability during the hours below, but there may be flexibility for the right candidate.
- Monday: 8:30AM-4PM
- Thursday: 8:00AM-4:30PM
- Friday: 8:30AM-3:00PM
As needed, additional opportunities to cover routes or pickup additional shifts in alignment with Food Hub growth.
- The position is based in the Food Connects Food Hub facility in Brattleboro, VT.
- In general, the position is expected to work 15-25 hours per week. Route times may fluctuate seasonally.
- May be required to work on some federal holidays (those that fall on Mondays), adequate advanced notice will be provided.
- Ability and willingness to drive delivery vans and trucks.
- Ability to drive continuously for a full workday, which includes loading and unloading product and climbing in and out of delivery vehicles.
- Ability to work and drive in variant weather conditions.
- Ability to repeatedly lift and move products (up to 50 lbs).
- Ability to operate electric pallet jacks in the warehouse.
- Experience driving box delivery trucks / straight trucks or other comparably-sized vehicles. Note that our trucks DO NOT require a CDL.
- Driving record free of serious infractions in the last three years.
- Ability to receive a Department of Transportation (DOT) Medical card (paid for by Food Connects).
- At least 21 years old (legal requirement for operating DOT registered vehicles).
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal: in person, over the phone, email, text.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills and natural proclivity for keeping detailed records.
- Reliable transportation for getting to headquarters in Brattleboro, VT.
- Reliable cell phone.
- Cheerful, professional presence. A sense of humor and a positive, can-do attitude.
- Experience in logistics and/or food distribution.
- General knowledge of veggies, fruits, or other locally-produced items.
- Familiarity and alignment with Food Connects’ mission and organizational culture.
- Existing relationships with local food producers.
- Familiarity with the geographical area of delivery services.
- Some mechanical knowledge/familiarity with diesel trucks.
- Basic knowledge of safe food handling practices.
- Servsafe Certified
- This is a part-time, non-exempt, hourly position.
- Beginning at $18.75 hourly. Negotiable depending on experience.
- A part-time position has the following benefits after a 90-day introductory period:
- Paid time off: vacation, sick, personal, and holiday leave
- Short-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Access to vision and dental insurance
- 15% employee discount on food purchases.
- 2% retirement contribution