Hiring: Food Hub Operations Coordinator – Food Connects
Food Hub Operations Coordinator
Start Date: Flexible, ideally prior to May 1
Looking for a candidate who can start at part-time (minimum 15 hours/week) and is interested in
growing into a full-time (30-40 hours/week) position over time. Details are negotiable depending on
the needs of both parties.
About Food Connects
Food Connects is a dynamic and growing nonprofit organization based in Brattleboro, VT that delivers
locally produced food as well as educational and consulting services aimed at transforming local food
systems. Founded in 2013, Food Connects is a catalyst for food systems change by connecting the
next generation with their food, local farmers with new markets, and school chefs with local food.
The Food Connects Food Hub delivers source-identified local food from over 60 farms and
value-added producers to over 100 wholesale customers located in Southern Vermont, Western New
Hampshire, and Western Massachusetts. Currently, we offer two weekly deliveries and conduct sales
through our online platform. The Food Hub is experiencing rapid growth, 25% over the past year, and
will be expanding our operations, infrastructure, and delivery schedule over the coming year.
To support this exciting growth, Food Connects is looking to grow our Food Hub Operations team. The
Food Hub Operations Coordinator will ideally have flexibility to work hours as needed, but will have the
opportunity to work with food hub management to build this position out into a year-round, full-time
position incorporating the strengths and qualities you will bring to the team.
The Food Hub Operations Coordinator (FHOC) will split time between driving delivery routes and
coordinating backend work in the warehouse. The FHOC will ensure the safe, timely, and undamaged
pickup and delivery of Food Hub products. This includes arranging (picking) the orders in the Food
Connects warehouse prior to delivery. To manage this, the FHOC must have consistently exceptional
organizational skills, record-keeping skills, and attention to detail.
While driving, the FHOC serves as a public face of a community-oriented food distribution network
and provides courteous and respectful service to a wide variety of customers and food producers. It is
a high-energy position that provides ample opportunities for those with interest in food systems to get
to know local food producers and buyers in the Central New England area.
This is a hands-on position with the expectation that this individual will be flexible and able to jump in
where needed to best optimize operations and support other team members. That could mean being
out on the road driving, assisting in the warehouse with receiving and picking orders, assisting with
sales, and other tasks as needed.
The FHOC is based in the Brattleboro, VT area.
● The Food Hub Operations Coordinator reports directly to the Food Hub Operations Manager
● The FHOC will work closely with the Food Hub Sales Manager and other Food Hub drivers.
● All Food Hub Employees ultimately report to the Food Hub General Manager.
● This position starts at part-time with potential to increase hours over time.
● Schedule will vary, especially in the early spring, but during the high season, we anticipate that
general availability during the below hours will be required.
○ Tuesday: 7am – 6pm
○ Wednesday: 7am – 3pm
○ Thursday: 7am – 6pm
○ Friday: 7am – 3pm
● Regular pick up and delivery routes currently run Tuesday through Friday. A Monday route may
be added soon.
● Order picking is completed Tuesday & Thursday afternoon after pick-up route.
● Overall schedule will most likely fluctuate with the growing season and operational needs as
Food Connects expands.
● Potential to pick up more driving hours:
○ Occasional off-hours or weekend routes may need additional coverage
○ A regular weekend or Monday delivery route will likely be added soon
● Order Picking : Ensuring all orders contain the correct products from the correct farms and
products. Checking products for quality, packing safely in delivery order, labeling and loading
on truck to ensure quality, food safety, and personnel safety.
● Inventory : Ensuring all inventory is accounted for and stored safely to preserve product quality.
Perishability is anticipated and mitigated. Coordinates inventory management and warehouse
maintenance in cooperation with FHOM.
● Vehicle Maintenance : Coordinates regular vehicle maintenance of Food Connects Food Hub
refrigerated fleet, which currently consists of 2009 Freightliner (24-foot reefer box truck) and
2018 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van. Food Connects will likely be adding a third vehicle in the
near future. This will include ensuring vehicles are ready for daily use (pre- and post-trip
inspections, shoveling, etc.)
● Food Safety : Coordinates with FHOM to ensure food safety compliance, planning, and
supporting adherence to regulatory guidelines, while supporting smooth daily operations. This
will including performing regular food safety-related checks on vehicles and warehouse and
keeping required food safety records.
● Ensures the safe, timely, and undamaged pickup and delivery of all Food Hub products in
vehicles as large as a 24-foot reefer box truck.
● Receives order picking details, all delivery logistics, driving details, and provides feedback to
● Inspects and verifies the complete contents and quality of all Food Hub products during
pickup and quickly communicates any shortages or other issues to the FHOM.
● Modifies order slips at customer drops, as needed, and collects customer signatures and
paperwork with each delivery.
● Coordinates directly with specific producers and customers to communicate ETAs and order
● Tracks and communicates mileage, hours, and other pertinent issues for each route.
● Experience driving box delivery trucks or other comparably-sized vehicles.
● General knowledge of veggies, fruits, and other locally-produced Items.
● Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal: in person, over the phone, email, text.
● Excellent customer service skills.
● Strong organizational skills and natural proclivity for keeping detailed records.
● Cheerful, professional presence.
● Mechanical knowledge/familiarity with diesel trucks.
● Reliable private vehicle for getting to the base location in Brattleboro, VT, and for occasional
small deliveries. Mileage tracked and reimbursed at the federal rate.
● Valid driver’s license.
● Confidence working in a technology-driven environment.
● Reliable cell phone.
● Ability to work a flexible schedule.
● At least 2 professional references.
● Note: CDL is NOT required, but is preferred.
● Experience in logistics and/or warehouse management.
● Experience with food distribution.
● Experience operating a pallet jack and forklift.
● Existing relationships with local food producers.
● Demonstrated knowledge of food safety & handling.
● Familiarity with the geographical area of our delivery services (Windham County, VT; Windsor
County, VT; Upper Valley, VT + NH; Cheshire County, NH; Western Massachusetts)
● General knowledge of the sustainable food and agriculture sector.
● Experience with Excel & spreadsheet manipulation.
● Auto/truck mechanic experience.
● Facilities maintenance experience.
● Inventory Management.
● Outside sales experience.
● Customer service experience.
● E-commerce management experience.
● Knowledge of food safety regulations.
● ServSafe Certified
● Ability to repeatedly lift and move product (cases up to 50 lbs) throughout the workday.
● Ability to drive continuously for a full workday, which includes loading and unloading product
for deliveries and climbing in and out of delivery vehicles.
● Ability to work in various weather conditions.
● Please send cover letter, resume, and references in one PDF document to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line:
○ < Your Last Name >, Application: Food Hub Sales Manager.
● We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. This position will remain open until filled.
● Starting at $16 per hour, negotiable depending on experience.