Hiring: Granby Farm Manager – Red Fire Farm
Red Fire Farm is seeking a good leader with a solid background in vegetable production to help us manage planting and field care for, and assist with harvest of, 45 acres of organic vegetable production and 10 acres of fruit trees. Bring your skills in organizing vegetable production, and experience in leadership, teamwork, and solo work, with strengths in tractor operation.
This year-round position will work with a team of 6-15 people over the course of the year. You will get detailed production input and guidance from the farm owner, but make the daily plans and staffing organization independently after initial training. It is a great position for a farmer looking to build skills in diverse organic farm management and ecological IPM orchard management. We are willing to train the right candidate, but are looking for you to bring tractor and vegetable production experience. For the right candidate, this position can develop into higher levels of management and or partnership over time.
- excellent farm crew management, training & communication skills
- 2 or more years tractor operating experience on a vegetable farm
- experience in greenhouse care, planting, irrigation, pest management, harvest, crop storage, cover crops
- some Spanish language skills necessary, or a willingness to learn
- carpentry, general mechanic & equipment repair skills a plus
- experience in IPM fruit horticulture & orchards a plus
- Applicants MUST have a valid driver’s license to be considered for the position; no exceptions.
- A desire & willingness to work outside (in the rain and the heat & cold too!)
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly and easily, and work physically all day
- Must work well with others
- Must have a good attitude and be willing to learn
Job Type & Hours: Full-time, year round position, with 60+ hours weekly in spring and summer, somewhat less in fall, and a much quieter winter schedule.
- All the organic veggies you can eat!
- Fresh air and exercise
- An open, friendly environment where your feedback is welcomed
- Opportunities to advance and build on your skills
- Spanish language practice
- Rental housing may be available in shared on-farm house; please note interest in your application materials
Location: This position is based at 7 Carver Street in Granby, MA. The farm is located in the vibrant Five College Area and has a beautiful farm store and pick your own fields to enjoy on site.
Compensation: Hourly or salary options available, and paid days off; compensation commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please send a letter of interest as well as a simple resume including three relevant work references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.