Hiring: Gwen’s Gardening
Gwen’s Gardening is a small, residential garden maintenance company operating mostly in Amherst, Northampton, Southampton, and Easthampton. I am seeking a full-time employee for the 2022 gardening season (March/April – October/November), though I am open to discussing other schedule arrangements. The ideal candidate is passionate about plants and gardening, and eager to expand your knowledge and skills through active learning while on the job. Ideally you will have gardening experience and plant knowledge. At the beginning of the season, you will work directly with Gwen and will be expected to follow instruction at each site. As the season progresses, and when appropriate, you might be expected to work independently on smaller jobs. Tools will be provided. Please send a letter of interest outlining your gardening/plant experience, and thre reference contacts to email@example.com.
Duties and responsibilities include, and are not limited to:
- Raking, shoveling, and sweeping
- Deadheading (and possibly some pruning)
- Planting, transplanting, and dividing
- Edging and string trimmingGardening requires bending, crouching, crawling, reaching, lifting (sometimes up to 50 pounds), walking, kneeling, standing, exerting force with legs and arms, pushing, pulling, and other physically demanding activities. When working for clients as a gardening, tasks are done at a quicker pace, and in a more systematic way than a home gardener might be used to.
Requirements, qualifications, and expectations:
- Availability to work Monday-Friday (usually 8:30 am – 4:30 pm), and occasional Saturdays
- Plant and gardening knowledge
- Reliable transportation to job sites throughout the Pioneer Valley
- Work in all types of weather, and exposure to the outdoors
- Job and weather appropriate clothing, rain gear, and footwear
- A friendly and professional demeanor with clients and other crew
- COVID-19 vaccination and appropriate boosters