Hiring: Kitchen Manager – Gran Cocina
About Gran Cocina / Great Kitchen
Gran Cocina is a commercial shared-use kitchen at 112 High St. in Holyoke, Ma. Co-owned by Wellspring Coop (501c3) and Neighbor to Neighbor Massachusetts (501c3), the kitchen is designed to be an incubator for small food businesses in the Lower Pioneer Valley and to provide space for community events that center the food system.
The Kitchen Manager is primarily responsible for the daily operations and community outreach. The Kitchen Manager ensures that the commercial kitchen meets its mission of helping food entrepreneurs launch, manage, and expand successful businesses that create new jobs by providing a fully licensed and equipped commercial kitchen for food production.
- Guide Gran Cocina through the final planning stages into operation based on the established business plan, with the assistance of a Wellspring Director and Neighbor to Neighbor Project Manager.
- Assist in community outreach efforts to help position the kitchen within the community, including but not limited to classes, demonstrations, tastings, and special events.
- Create and maintain operating budgets and financial records with the support of Wellspring and Neighbor to Neighbor
- Make recommendations for changes in written materials, policies, and procedures.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with businesses, the philanthropic community, elected officials, and other nonprofit organizations.
- Operate and manage the shared-use commercial kitchen facility, all equipment, and utilities.
- Collaborate with Wellspring and Neighbor to Neighbor to organize the application, orientation, and training process of new kitchen users.
- Process all income and expenses by policy and sound accounting principles with the assistance of Wellspring and Neighbor to Neighbor
- Maintain up-to-date records and manage scheduling for all kitchen users.
- Maintain accountability for written policies and procedures.
- Oversee and enforce adherence to approved food handling methods and all relevant licenses and regulations.
- Process all income and expenses by policy and sound accounting principles with the assistance of Wellspring and Neighbor to Neighbor.
- Manage, coordinate, and conduct all of the above in a constructive and timely manner with accurate preparation of monthly reports.
- Start up an in-house business in collaboration with Wellspring and Neighbor to Neighbor
Experience and skills required
- Culinary experience including but limited to serving, recipes creation, and knowledge of kitchen equipment and appliances
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to implement and hold others accountable to written standards
- Familiarity with financial oversight of projects, including the ability to modify and scale budget pro formas and sales projections
- Well-organized with attention to detail, good record keeping, and excellent time management skills
- Ability to work independently and manage and train kitchen users
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced environment
- PC proficiency, including Microsoft Office, newsletter development, social media, and online file sharing (e.g., Google Calendars and Google Drive)
- A passion for great food
- ServSafe Manager certified or a willingness to become certified
- Experience with QuickBooks, Photoshop, and website content management preferred
- Bilingual applicants preferred
Expected workload and schedule
Part-time with the expectation to transition to full-time. Part-time hours negotiable
Full-time equivalent to $50,000 salary plus benefits
How to apply
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Applications review begins July 28th, 2023, until the position is filled
Negotiable start time mid-August