Hiring: Local Hero Program Manager – CISA
Job Opening: Program Manager
Status: 40 hours a week (full-time)
Time Frame: Review begins November 8, 2021, position open until filled
Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture (CISA) is a nonprofit that strengthens farms and engages the community to build the local food economy. We run the Be a Local Hero, Buy Locally Grown® marketing campaign, educate the public about buying local, offer technical assistance trainings and workshops for farmers, and support programs to increase access to local food in our region.
Our team has a range of skills and life experiences and is a mix of trainers, former farmers, communicators, and administrators. We work to build a diverse and resilient food economy with viable farms, fair and just working conditions, strong environmental stewardship, and accessible and available local food in all our communities. We are committed to understanding the history and current impacts of racism in the food system and actively work towards equity. We are committed to recruiting and retaining creative, ethical, smart, and innovative people.
The Program Manager manages the Local Hero membership program and co-leads CISA’s farm and business support efforts in partnership with a strong team. This includes coordinating the activities for our technical assistance programs for farms, farmers’ markets, and local food businesses; collaborating with the management team and farm business support team to set strategic goals for our technical assistance and Local Hero programs; and supporting development of new programmatic strategies, areas, and activities. The Program Manager will also provide research, planning and technical assistance support for specific initiatives across the organization, and support grant writing and grant management.
Our ideal candidate enjoys providing leadership support to a dynamic team; networking farms and businesses to further their success; and aligning capacity to needs in support of CISA’s mission. The candidate is a capable project manager and can juggle and prioritize multiple projects and think strategically.
- Co-manage CISA’s farm and business technical assistance programming
- Work with CISA’s farm business support team to develop technical assistance program objectives and work plans;
- Foster and support CISA’s farm business support team in providing technical assistance with an eye towards impact and effectiveness;
- Supervise, train, and evaluate staff, and provide structure for the team to coordinate their activities; and,
- Work with other CISA departments to implement objectives
- Manage CISA’s Local Hero campaign membership program
- Lead team to oversee Local Hero campaign membership program from enrollment to evaluation.
- Implement Local Hero activities including networking activities intended to connect businesses to peers, buyers, and to CISA.
- Coordinate across the organization to ensure members’ needs are considered; and,
- Lead strategic initiatives to build market demand for local agricultural products.
- Bring creative and strategic thinking about communications to further CISA’s mission.
- Represent CISA at public presentations and other venues as needed.
Perform other related duties as assigned by the Program Director.
REPORTING and SUPERVISION
This position reports to the Program Director and provides direct supervision to Program Coordinators and the Program Associate.
Strong candidates for this job have team-building and networking or customer service experience, strong communication skills, the ability to manage multiple deadlines and tasks, and an interest in evaluation as tool for improvement. Specifically, we are looking for the following qualifications:
- Five to seven years combined experience as a team leader, supervisor and/or facilitator;
- Three to five years of experience or related education in the areas of customer service and member support or in agriculture, business management, and/or adult education;
- Ability to manage a collaborative team of professional program staff;
- Proven ability to communicate effectively through multiple channels;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups of people; and,
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent life and/or work experience.
It’s a plus if you are comfortable with relational databases and grant writing. It’s also a plus if you speak Spanish or have other skills or experience that can help further CISA’s mission to more equitably serve those working in agriculture and local food businesses. You don’t have to already be tapped into how amazing local agriculture is but if you are, that’s great!
HOURS AND COMPENSATION
Salary is $57,500- 64,000, depending on experience. This is a full-time, exempt position. Health care, vision, dental, long-term disability, 401K matching, sick time, 10 paid holidays, 4 personal days, and 15 vacation days in the first year are offered. Access to a car and some weekend and evening availability are required.
CISA is currently operating with a hybrid office model with at least two days a week in the office and up to three days from home. We allow staff flexibility in their regular schedules and understand that flexibility can support a healthy work-life balance. Occasional travel within CISA’s service area (Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin counties, MA) for communications outreach and events will be required.
Writing samples and references may be requested.
CISA is an equal opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which CISA is firmly bound. CISA will not engage in discrimination against, or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with CISA on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran, or other characteristics protected by law. We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.