Hiring: Market Coordinator – Amherst Mobile Market
Role: Market Coordinator
Employer: Many Hands Farm Corps
Salary: $15 per hour
Schedule: 25 hours per week, 20 weeks from June – October, 2022. On-site hours are Saturdays from 7:00 am – 3:00 pm, Tuesdays from 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm, Wednesdays from 1:00 pm – 7:00 pm, and Thursdays from 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm with some additional off-site hours.
Open Positions: 1
About the Amherst Mobile Market
Nearly all of Amherst’s census tracts are designated as “food deserts” by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, meaning that they contain high concentrations of residents who are both low-income and live more than a mile from the grocery store. Residents without vehicles, who constitute 11% of Amherst’s population, report that it can take up to two hours to get to and from the grocery store by bus, and that expensive cab rides are often required for the trip home to prevent groceries from spoiling.
The Amherst Mobile Market is a community driven, bilingual mobile farmers market bringing affordable, organic fresh produce to Amherst’s food desert neighborhoods. It not only makes affordable produce available within walking distance of residents who struggle to access healthy food, but also puts decision-making in the hands of low-income, BIPOC community members and builds the capacity of those community members to take on leadership roles.
The Market Coordinator is responsible for:
- Placing orders for produce from area farms with support from Market Managers
- Picking up produce orders from suppliers using the market’s cargo van
- Helping with market set-up and produce merchandising
- Helping with market break-down and storing market produce and supplies
- Coordinating with boxed delivery shareholders and delivering boxed shares
- Tracking actual market expenditures against the market budget and keeping market managers updated on budgetary considerations
- Transporting market managers to and from the market sites
- Given the shared decision-making structures that support the Amherst Mobile Market, the Market
- Coordinator will be expected to participate in weekly decision-making meetings with market staff and occasional meetings with other market stakeholders outside of the regular market schedule.
- Ability to stand for up to three hours and lift and carry up to 50 lbs. up to 20 ft.
- Friendly, outgoing demeanor
- Proficient in data management and processing, including proficiency with data management software, such as Excel, Google Sheets, etc.
- Comfort with using mobile computing devices and point of sale software
- MA driver’s license
- English/Spanish bilingual strongly preferred