Hiring: Multiple Positions – Red Fire Farm
About the Farm:
Red Fire Farm is a leader in organic veggie production in the beautiful Pioneer Valley in western Massachusetts. We have about 100 acres in cultivation and grow just about every veggie that can be grown in this climate. We sell produce through our CSA program, wholesale, farmers markets and stands. We are dedicated to a seriously high quality standard and hold a deep belief in organic practices. We’re a large production farm with the heart and soul of a tiny operation. Our goal is to make this farming thing truly sustainable — for everyone involved!
Production Manager – Montague
The Production Manager is responsible for all aspects of tractor work, record keeping, detailed vegetable cultivation, training of junior tractor operators and general staff management. S/he works closely with other department managers both on the Montague Farm and our Granby site.
Candidates should have:
- At least five years experience farming;
- At least two years in a management position on a farm;
- Previous experience on a large (60-80 acre) mixed vegetable farm;
- Experience with a variety of tractors and implements.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills;
In this role, you’ll be in charge of developing and overseeing daily production tasks for crews. It will also be up to you to give feedback to tractor operators and crew leaders. This position is part of the core leadership, you’ll be required to attend monthly managers meetings and work with the leadership team to create a positive, supportive culture for everyone who works on the farm.
Other responsibilities include:
- Keep all production records (inputs, actuals, etc.) up to date and organized
- Manage scheduling of and participate in irrigation and frost protection
- Keep inventory of supplies
- Coordinate machinery maintenance and repair with farm owner and farm mechanic
- Organize weed crew and, toward the fall, bulk harvest crew
Tractor Operators – Montague and Granby
(please specify which farm site you’re applying to)
Looking for tractor operators with experience using a variety of tractors and implements. Must be available for seasonal on-call weekend work for frost coverage and irrigation when needed. $12hr
- Drive tractors to accomplish daily and weekly lists for field production
- Know farm standards for each kind of tractor work
- Attend to the field and soil conditions that need to be created for different crops
- Practice safety and respect equipment at all times
- Work with team to improve or create production systems on the farm
- Keep up basic maintenance and care on tractors and implements
- Communicate equipment problems to farm owner and harvest manager as they arise
- Participate in irrigation rotation during drought times or for frost protection
Crew and Crew Leaders – Montague
New and experienced field crew needed for full time work May through November.
Red Fire Farm is looking for healthy, happy, hardworking individuals to join its power crew of harvesters in beautiful Montague, Massachusetts. Preferred candidates have at least a year of previous farming experience, are available year-round, and are passionate about changing the food system.
Full time, Monday – Friday, 7 am – 6 pm with a one hour lunch break. Weekend on-call availability is occasionally required depending on harvest and irrigation needs, and frost coverage.
To Apply to any of the above positions: email cover letter outlining previous farm experience, resume, three references to firstname.lastname@example.org