Hiring: Part-time Harvest Crew – Riverland Farm
PART TIME HARVEST CREW
Riverland Farm is a Women-run, Certified Organic Farm in Western Massachusetts. We grow high quality, organic produce for our community. We are invested in the health and viability of organic farmland in our region and continue to work to maintain and improve the land we farm.
We grow 40 acres of certified organic vegetables on prime agricultural soil along the Connecticut River in the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. We take pride in the quality of our vegetables and the ongoing relationships we maintain with our customers, locally and regionally.
Our growing practices, inputs and systems reflect our high standards for healthy land, good food and worker safety. We use only sustainable practices and organic approved inputs. We are a USDA Certified Organic Farm, certified by Baystate Certifiers.
Working on a farm crew often fosters lasting connections and friendships. We have a small and tight knit crew that works very closely with one another on a daily basis. We aim to have our crew working together towards common goals and supporting one another through the wide range of ups and downs of farming. Farming is a very physically demanding job. The days are long and variable and require people with good mental and physical stamina. A person that excels in these roles is a good team player, has a positive attitude and good work ethic, is efficiency minded, has a good sense of humor, and is physically fit.
The people in the part time harvest crew will work primarily alongside our full-time, full-season harvest crew. We work in a small, tight knit crew for long hours through variable weather. As a farm crew member you will be exposed to many aspects of a production 40-acre vegetable farm and will have ample opportunity to gain knowledge through experience. Farming is a very physically demanding job. The days are long and variable and require people with good mental and physical stamina. A person that excels in this role is a good team player, has a positive attitude and good work ethic, is detail oriented and efficiency minded, has a good sense of humor, and is physically fit.
Please email a resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in working for Riverland farm to email@example.com
May 23rd – September 3rd or October 29th
$15/hr for 20 – 35 hrs/week
- 7 am – 12 pm or 7 am – 5 pm Mon, Wed, Fri
- 7 am – 12 pm Sat
- Specific weekly schedule to be arranged with managers before starting work
General Farm Responsibilities:
- The majority of the tasks in this position include harvest assistance – the people in this position will make up a specific unit of the farm crew, and will work primarily alongside the full-time, full-season farm crew for harvest 3 days/week
- Harvest work is mostly done by hand for the many vegetable crops we grow and requires a lot of heavy lifting, includes using sharp tools (knives / clippers), rubber bands for making bunches, and requires a lot of counting and meticulous quality control.
- Post-harvest work including assisting the washroom manager with produce washing and packing activities.
- Operation of farm vehicles
- Clean-up of farm waste and organization of materials and tools
- Occasionally other field work may be a part of the day’s tasks- including greenhouse seeding, transplanting by machine and hand, managing row cover and light harvest.
- Additionally, some tasks such as light carpentry, painting, and building or equipment maintenance may be part of these positions