Hiring: Program Assistant- CISA
Job Opening: Program Assistant, Local Hero
Status: 40 hours a week
Time Frame: Review begins March 28, 2023, position open until filled
Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture (CISA) is a nonprofit organization that strengthens farms and engages the community to build the local food economy. We run the Be a Local Hero, Buy Locally Grown® marketing campaign, educate the public about buying local, offer training and support for farmers, and support programs to increase access to local food in our region.
Our team has a range of skills and life experiences and is a mix of trainers, former farmers, communicators, and administrators. We work to build a diverse and resilient food economy with viable farms, fair and just working conditions, strong environmental stewardship, and equitable local food access in all of our communities. We are committed to understanding the history and current impacts of racism in the food system and actively work towards equity and fairness. We strive to recruit and retain creative, ethical, smart, and innovative people and to cultivate an inclusive and diverse culture.
The Program Assistant works with the Technical Assistance and Local Hero teams in implementing programmatic activities that support CISA’s mission. Work includes Local Hero program support for membership enrollment, promotion, communication, and maintenance, as well as logistical support for technical assistance workshops, one-on-one technical assistance, and evaluation. The Program Assistant manages the day-to-day activities for this work.
Our ideal candidate will be customer-service oriented and will enjoy connecting farmers and related
businesses to the support CISA offers. Our candidate is organized and detail oriented but can see the big picture. Our candidate will have systems to keep track of multiple tasks and is persistent when working towards a goal.
- Support Local Hero and technical assistance programs
- Implement Local Hero enrollment; maintain CISA’s Local Hero member online guide;
- Carry out routine office activities like answering the phone, copying, mail merges and mailings, data entry, spreadsheet and database management;
- Coordinate member communications through monthly emails and alerts;
- Coordinate logistics for Local Hero member outreach and events: including promotion, registration, location, food, and day-of.
- Support evaluation outreach and tracking; and,
- Work with supervisor to track program accomplishments and assist in grant reporting.
- Collaborate with Local Hero team, Technical Assistance team, and CISA staff as a whole to bring creative and critical thinking and action to further CISA’s mission.
- Represent CISA at public events (such as tabling), program collaborations, and other venues as needed.
REPORTING and SUPERVISION
This position reports to the Local Hero Manager.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience with conducting outreach, networking, and/or sales
- Self-motivated with the ability to collaborate well
- Comfortable organizing lots of details
- Ability to build and use spreadsheets, experience with MS Office Suite
- Comfortable (and persistent in) contacting people on the phone and over email for deadline driven work
- High School degree/GED or equivalent experience
- Experience with Airtable or other customer management databases
- Experience with Canva or other web-based applications
- Experience with or curiosity about sustainable agriculture
- Working Spanish proficiency.
Hours and compensation: $19-$20.25/hour, depending on experience. This is a 40 hours/week, non-exempt position. Health care, vision, and dental insurance, long-term disability, 401K matching, sick time, holidays, and vacation time are offered. On-the-job training provided. Access to a car and some weekend and evening availability are required.
CISA is currently operating with a hybrid office model with at least two days a week in the office and up to three days from home. We allow staff flexibility in their regular schedules and understand that flexibility can support a healthy work-life balance. Occasional travel within CISA’s service area (Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin counties, MA) for member services, communications, development, and events will be required.
CISA is an equal opportunity employer. CISA will not engage in discrimination against, or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with CISA on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran, or other characteristics protected by law. We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive environment.
To apply, please complete applicant questions and attach your resume via our online application form. CISA no longer requires cover letters and will not review them. Instead, we ask applicants to answer specific questions to allow us to get to know you and your interest in this position. Questions can be sent to email@example.com. References may be requested.