Hiring: Program Coordinator – CISA
Job Opening: Program Coordinator: business and labor
Status: 40 (full-time) hours a week
Time Frame: Review begins February 24, 2021, position open until filled
Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture (CISA) is a nonprofit organization that strengthens farms and engages the community to build the local food economy. Our programs include the Be a Local Hero, Buy Locally Grown® marketing campaign, educational activities for the public, trainings, workshops, and support for farmers, and programs to expand market options for farmers and increase access to local food in our region. We believe that an informed and engaged community is essential to a resilient local food economy and that local food builds community by connecting us to farmers, to the seasons, and to each other.
Our team has a range of skills and life experiences and is a mix of trainers, policy experts, fundraisers, communicators, and administrators. We work to build a diverse and resilient food economy with viable farms, fair and just working conditions, strong environmental stewardship, and accessible and available local food in all of our communities. We are committed to understanding the history and current impacts of racism in the food system and actively work towards equity. We are committed to recruiting and retaining creative, ethical, smart, and innovative people and to fostering an inclusive and diverse culture.
Our ideal candidate has experience with, and enjoys, providing farmers with business support; is familiar with agricultural businesses and can help farms implement practical and meaningful changes to their operations; and has training or experience in business and employee management. Candidates should be capable project managers; be detail oriented and able to see the big picture; and have organizational systems to provide multiple farms with support simultaneously through multiple channels.
1) Implement CISA’s direct assistance as a member of the Farm Business Support Team:
- Plan and implement workshops and other training and networking opportunities primarily focused on farm employee management, creating a positive workplace, food safety, and business/leadership skills.
- Coordinate outreach to farmers about educational offerings and support organizational outreach through email, phone, and mailings.
- Provide troubleshooting, advice, and referrals to farmers and related business owners.
- Coordinate support and assistance for farmers and related business owners by connecting them with CISA staff and/or outside professionals.
- Maintain and develop strategic partnerships with other business assistance providers.
- Provide farms with assistance on employee management, creating a positive workplace, food safety, and business/leadership skills.
- Effectively use CISA’s existing databases to manage work.
- Build awareness about CISA and the Be A Local Hero, Buy Locally Grown® program among potential Local Hero membership groups and the community.
- Perform other duties as requested.
2) Bring creative and strategic thinking about farm and business support that can further CISA’s mission.
3) Represent CISA at public presentations and other venues/channels as needed.
Perform other related duties as assigned by the Program Manager.
REPORTING and SUPERVISION
This position reports to the Program Manager. May include opportunities to occasionally supervise interns or volunteers.
- Training and/or experience providing business support/education that is transferable/relevant to our audience of small-scale farm operations.
- Experience with project management, including timeline organization, managing up, and the ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to support farms in building business and employee management skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and compellingly (verbally and in writing) with farm owners and employees.
- Ability to support improved two-way communication between farm employees and owners, including across cultural differences and/or language barriers.
- Self-motivated with the ability to collaborate well with a team.
- Comfortable (and persistent in) reaching out to people on the phone and over email for deadline driven work.
- Computer fluency and experience with MS Office suite, with demonstrated ability to create and use spreadsheets.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong preference for working Spanish proficiency or fluency in Spanish.
- Experience in the sustainable agriculture field.
- Training or experience in human resources/employee management.
- Experience with databases and/or web-based data management programs, such as Airtable.
Hours and compensation: $19-$22/hour, depending on experience. This is a full-time 40 hours/week, non-exempt position. Health care, vision, dental, long-term disability, 401K matching, sick time, holidays, and vacation are offered. Access to a car and some weekend and evening availability are required.
Due to COVID-19 all CISA positions are currently remote. Successful candidates must have access to home workspace, internet access, and phone capabilities (CISA will provide computer). Continued remote work post-pandemic may be possible, with regular required travel to the CISA office. Once in-person work resumes, regular travel within CISA’s service area (Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin counties, MA) for technical assistance service provision, outreach, and events will be required.
Writing samples and references may be requested.
CISA is an equal opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which CISA is firmly bound. CISA will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with CISA on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran, or other characteristics protected by law. We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
Please complete applicant questions and attach your resume via our online application form. Questions can be directed to email@example.com. Cover letters are not required and will not be reviewed.