Hiring: Program Manager – Root’s Rising
Program Manager Job Description (Full Time)
The Program Manager will oversee Roots Rising’s core programs, including the Pittsfield Farmers Market and Youth Crews. This role is a key connector between Roots Rising’s values and the communities we serve. The Program Manager is responsible for building relationships with market vendors, shoppers, Pittsfield youth and alumni, and current and potential worksite hosts, all while ensuring smooth and consistently functioning programs.
Successful candidates will be able to take initiative, make quick decisions, work well under moments of stress, and employ excellent supervisory skills. The position requires the ability to work both independently and collaboratively, particularly with youth. The experience and ability to be an educator is key: encouraging curiosity, drawing connections and creating meaning within a dynamic working environment.
The Program Manager will be supported by a strong culture of collaboration, passionate staff and board of directors, and a caring, human-centered work environment. Roots Rising practices a shared leadership structure, with the belief that wisdom is not confined to any single individual, and that success comes from the raising up of multiple voices and perspectives. The Program Manager will be a participating voice in this ecosystem, and will have the Executive Director as a key resource and functioning supervisor.
This is a high-profile role managing our core programs: regular Market days (Saturdays) and times when Crew is in session are required. Flexible scheduling is a benefit for all staff and a key benefit for this position. Roots Rising is always reimagining how to best support staff in our work. Additional benefits that support our human-centered workplace are outlined below.
Applications will be accepted and interviews granted on a rolling basis October 1 – December 1, 2023.
Statement of Equity Roots Rising encourages candidates from all backgrounds to join our team. We believe that a diverse team enhances our ability to fulfill our mission and grow as an organization. We are committed to creating an equitable and inclusive work environment where each employee’s contributions are recognized, valued, and celebrated.
We understand that our employees have varying needs; we aim to create a healthy, successful work
environment for all, and we pride ourselves on being a family-friendly workplace. Roots Rising is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, or other applicable legally
protected characteristics. Over and above our commitment to nondiscrimination, we believe that our organization should reflect the communities we serve. In staying true to this commitment Roots Rising actively seeks to employ members of the community who have experienced food insecurity, as well as members of historically marginalized groups, including, but not limited to, Black and Brown folx, LGBTQ+ folx, and differently abled folx.
Roots Rising is an award-winning organization whose mission is to empower youth and build community
through food and farming. Our vision is to lift up teens as community changemakers and strengthen the local food system through the transformational power of meaningful work. Roots Rising has three main initiatives: our Pittsfield Farmers Market, our Youth Crews, and our upcoming Youth Farm.
Our Pittsfield Farmers Market is the first teen-run market in the region and was the first year-round market in
Berkshire County. It was founded with the belief that everyone should have access to fresh, healthy food.
In our Youth Crews, we hire Pittsfield teens to work on farms, in food pantries and at our own market. It’s more
than just a job. It’s an opportunity for teens to engage in meaningful work—work that needs to be done and
serves a larger social good. We believe meaningful work leaves youth feeling purposeful, capable and
connected. Roots Rising’s third major initiative will be a Youth Farm in Pittsfield. This farm will be an intersection of our food justice and youth development work. We are in the beginning stages of launching this new initiative.
Lead all planning, recruitment, and training related to launching each Farm and Market Crew season, including:
● Recruit Pittsfield youth to participate in Farm and Market Crews
● Facilitate Crew and family orientations
● Manage all programming for Youth Crews including workshops and field trip schedules; build
relationships and coordinate with worksite farms
● Lead Farm Crew youth at worksites, facilitate youth development activities, track violations, and create
a safe space for learning and growth; Transport youth to and from worksites in the Roots Rising van
● Keep accurate attendance data, coordinate with Operations Director on necessary hiring paperwork
● Supervise Crew staff and interns; Work with interns to create lesson plans
● Develop and facilitate annual staff training
PITTSFIELD FARMERS MARKET
Serve as the first point of contact and public face of the Pittsfield Farmers Market on market days. Manage the weekly market, coordinating and overseeing day-to-day operations, including:
● Develop and manage relationships with vendors, monitor vendor compliance, set vendors for season,
field new applications, strategize on gaps, train and orient new vendors
● Supervise, motivate, and ensure the safety and well-being of Market Crew youth, volunteers, and staff;
Cultivate a safe space for learning and growth, facilitate youth development activities
● Oversee food justice programs (Market Match, Summer Eats, and The Giving Table), educate shoppers, maintain spreadsheets with weekly data
● Process credit card, SNAP, HIP, and Market Match transactions, collect and record tokens from vendors; Maintain and troubleshoot market tech and transaction tracking
● Secure permits and entertainment licenses, work with City of Pittsfield officials if need arises
● Build and facilitate Market Committee
● Secure and coordinate chef demos, musicians, community booths and other special events
● Engage the public and create a welcoming environment, resolve conflicts or problems as they arise
● Manage Market setup and breakdown, coordinate vendor load-in and load-out
● Keep inventory of supplies and maintain an organized storage pod
● Manage Roots Rising merchandise sales, coordinate inventory systems, order placement and sales in
partnership with Operations Director
COMMUNICATION & ADMINISTRATION
● Collaborate on marketing and communications for Youth Crew and Farmers Market programming
● Create a community outreach plan; Share materials and/or make presentations
● Lead strategy on program expansion and outreach, in partnership with Executive Director
● Supervise Program Coordinator Required Qualifications
● Two or more years of experience and enthusiasm for working with teens, especially those from diverse backgrounds
● A demonstrated ability to teach and inspire
● Two or more years of both program and staff management experience
● Ability to engage in physical work for prolonged periods; ability to carry heavy objects (up to 50lbs);
ability to withstand varied weather conditions, including heat and rain
● Proven track record of strong problem-solving skills; strong organizational skills and attention to detail
● Knowledge of and facility with Google Drive, including Google Docs and Google Sheets
● Must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to drive the Roots Rising van
Additional Helpful Qualifications
● Knowledge and understanding of local food systems
● Bilingual fluency in Spanish
Compensation & Schedule
The Program Manager is a full-time, exempt position with an annual salary of $55,000. Daily work hours are flexible, but must include Pittsfield Farmers Market dates (Saturdays from 7AM-3PM) and Farm Crew seasons (March – May, 2:00PM-6:00PM; July – August, 8AM-4PM; September – November, 2:00PM-6:00PM). This position is a hybrid role: with the Program Manager expected in-person for Pittsfield Farmers Market and Farm Crew dates, and in-person group work in Pittsfield, MA typically one day per week.
Roots Rising aims to support a balanced and joyful life for our employees. We aim to create a healthy,
successful work environment for all, with the understanding that employees have varying needs. And we pride ourselves on being a family-friendly workplace. For full-time employees, benefits include weekly half-day Fridays, generous paid time off and sick leave, and a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with employer contribution. Roots Rising is a qualified employer under the PSLF federal student loan forgiveness plan. See more about our benefits here.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and brief cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the role to
email@example.com. Applications will be accepted and interviews granted on a rolling basis October 1 – December 1, 2023.