Hiring: Quality and Packing Supervisors-Red Fire Farm
Red Fire Farm, a leader in organic farming with more than 100 acres in cultivation in the Pioneer Valley, is seeking to hire two Packing Shed Supervisors. Applications must have previous farming or food production experience, be passionate about local agriculture, and have a natural knack for details and organization.
Packing Shed Supervisors play key roles on the farm: everything harvested on the farm is brought to the packing shed, where it’s washed, packed and sorted for our 1,500+ member CSA, farm stands, farmer’s markets and wholesale orders. Through this role you will be routing hundreds of thousands of pounds of local food to good homes around our state.
Shed supervisors are responsible for tracking quality standards, enforcing sanitation practices, and tracking order fulfillment throughout the daily harvest. As such, the shed supervisors need to know what produce is coming in from our harvest crews each day, how it needs to be handled and packed and exactly where it’s going. Supervisors do much of the washing and packing each day, with support from a crew assigned to the shed.
Other responsibilities include:
• Help loading trucks destined for our CSA distributions and wholesale deliveries
• Organizing packing supplies in our barn, and keeping supplies stocked and tidy
• Communicating regularly with our harvest manager and sales manager
• Ability to jump in and help with aspects of the harvest
• Managing the crew assigned to help each day in the packing shed
• Managing bulk storage crops in our root cellar and coolers
• Ability to lift 50-75 pounds
• Knowledge of diverse vegetable varieties
• Knowledge of quality standards and packing techniques
• Experience with pallet jacks and forklifts — tractors are a bonus
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word.
• Leadership and communication skills
• Positive attitude
Other perks of the job include:
• Year-round access to delicious, organic produce
• Fresh air and exercise
• An open, friendly environment where your feedback is welcomed
• Potential for year-end bonus
This is a demanding job, but a crucial one on the farm. We’re seeking responsible, experienced candidates who are up for the challenge, pace and mental exercise that comes with this role. The two supervisor positions will work a split schedule, one will run 7am-5:30pm, the other 10am-8:30pm to cover the full packing day at the farm. Hours in off-season would be slightly diffferent. Shifts could alternate weekly or stay the same for each person, depending on scheduling needs.
Year-round positions at $12-13/hr based on experience. Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, received on a rolling basis. Seeking candidates that can start in early March. Open until filled.